Policies and Procedures
At Island Link, Island Express Bus, and Tofino Express Bus.
Islandlink Bus is committed to respecting the privacy of all those who use our service. The sole purpose for gathering personal information is to enable Islandlink to serve you better and for you to book your travel arrangements with Islandlink - online at your convenience. It also gives you access to our iPOINTS system available only to those who utilize our online booking facility.
The content of this information is limited to what you voluntarily provide and we undertake to never sell or disclose that information to any third party for any reason whatsoever.
The only personal information IslandLink retains is that which is provided in the registration forms online. This includes your full name, address, telephone number, and email address. IslandLink makes every effort to ensure that our electronic data is secure and we do not print personal information or maintain records or files in printed versions.
Personal information will only be retained for as long as you choose to use the services of IslandLink online. You may request IslandLink to remove your personal information from our electronic files at any time.
IslandLink does not retain credit card or cheque information. Credit cards used to pay for travel on IslandLink are processed on a secure site operated and maintained by Moneris Solutions (An RBC Royal Bank / Bank of Montreal Joint Investment). IslandLink will not be held liable for any failure of this site to protect member information.
Making a Booking on IslandLink
Making a booking on Islandlink is not required in order to use Islandlink bus services, but they are recommended. Having a booking is the only way to guarantee a seat on the bus trip of your choice. Bookings may only be made online, on the Islandlink website.
On-line bookings (and cancellations) may be made at any time until 11:59pm on the night before travel. A booking will only be given when space is available, and IslandLink will not overbook. Passengers traveling without a booking will be given a seat by the driver, on a space-available only basis, on payment of the applicable fare in cash to the driver. The cash payment must be made prior to departing the pick-up point.
The only way to make a booking on Islandlink is online. Everybody booking on-line is required to become a member of the system; there is no charge for membership, and membership may be revoked at any time by email notice to Islandlink. (See Closing a member account/Refund of iPOINTS balance, below).
Booking online requires online payment, either by credit, debit VISA or debit card, or by payment from the member’s iPOINTS account, or a combination of these. On-line reservations may be cancelled on-line in accordance with the Cancellation Policy, shown above. iPOINTS held in a member’s online iPOINTS account may only be used to purchase travel online from Islandlink.
Ticket Use / Non-Use:
- Cancelling a ticket does not refund your credit card.
- Your IslandLink ticket is valid only for the trip/time & date specified. It may be used in part payment toward a stand-by fare on the same date ONLY, but at a different trip/time; in this case the driver will collect the difference between the fare paid online and the applicable cash fare for the different trip/time, per passenger, if space is available.
- Your IslandLink ticket has no value except on the travel date specified thereon. If it is not used (unless it has been cancelled in accordance with the cancellation policy), it has no refund or credit value.
- You must be in possession of a confirmed ticket number in order to board the bus.
- Cancellation Policy: Your IslandLink ticket may be cancelled anytime before midnight on the day before travel. If it is cancelled, the ticket price, minus the cancellation fee(s), minus the reward given when the ticket was purchased will be credited to your online iPOINTS account, for future travel purchase (iPOINTS have certain expiry conditions, see iPOINTS below). Cancellation can only be done online; cancellation fee is $2/ticket.
Children, Baggage, Pets, Guide & Service Dogs
Transportation of Children and Infants:
Unfortunately, Islandlink is not set up to legally carry children and infants under the age of nine years on all our vehicles. Rather than differentiate our policy by vehicle type, we have one policy that applies on all our vehicles and on all our routes.
Therefore, any child or infant under the age of nine years will not be boarded on our vehicles.
At age nine years and older, children are no longer required to be seated in a booster or child restraint seat in British Columbia, and this condition also applies to all Islandlink services.
Since children age nine years or older do not require booster or restraint seats, we will not allow the temporary installation of these seats in our vehicles as they are not required by law.
Pets, Guide Dogs and Service Dogs:
No Pets (animals or birds) are allowed on any Islandlink Bus or Island Express Bus vehicle at any time.
• However, guide and service dogs with valid and current certification will be boarded with their owner as a team in accordance with the laws of the province of British Columbia.
• Either the applicable BC Government issued certification (Click Here), or valid identification card issued by a training school accredited by Assistance Dogs International (ADI) or International Guide Dog Federation (IGDF) , must be presented to the driver prior to boarding. It is strongly suggested that a copy of the certification to be used for travel on Island Express Bus be emailed (firstname.lastname@example.org) to the company before the day of travel; this will allow for a quicker and easier approval process in advance of actual travel.
• Once boarded, such guide/service dogs will be required to remain on the floor at the feet of their owner, and will not be permitted to travel on a seat or on the owner’s lap. Any animal or bird without valid and current certification will be denied boarding.
• Our drivers are trained in the application of this policy and are authorized to enforce it.
The only baggage we must restrict is:
• Bicycles, wheelchairs/scooters; this is because of the space limitations of our vehicles, hazardous or dangerous materials, explosives, guns and ammunition.
• Packages containing liquids that are inadequately contained such that they may leak in the bus.
• We apologize, but there is no space on any IslandLink bus to carry surfboards.
All other baggage is OK with the single condition that ‘if you can carry it (all at once), we can take it’. Baggage in excess of this amount can only be carried at the discretion of the driver and if space is available; it is therefore not guaranteed.
Protective Face Masks:
Island Express Bus policy with respect to wearing a face mask (COVID) onboard our vehicles has been relaxed. Wearing a face mask is encouraged, but is now optional. If circumstances change, this policy could also change again.